This is the artist’s version of “What’s in my Bag.” 🙂 Your bag may look different. You may have other favorites for your bag. There is no perfect list; just pack what’s easy for you and what you would use most on-the-road. Some would say, “There’s no room to pack everything I want to use.” I agree! So, if you’re having trouble deciding, just start with ten basic, portable must-haves. Then you can build moderately from there.
First, let me introduce you to my journal, a.k.a the Traveler’s Notebook. This was a gift from my daughter; a very nice, handmade, leather journal from Foxy Fix. There are also some nice, affordable options on Amazon. There are bound options, as well. Mine is styled after the traveler’s notebook, containing inserts that can be switched out.
I have three inserts in mine. One insert is for lettering and some doodling; one is for drawing and coloring; one is a watercolor-paper insert for painting. Many of these images are posted on my Instagram. I made one of the inserts (comment below if you’d like to see a post on that). The other two are nicely-made inserts from Yellow Paper House on Etsy.
My little supply bag is from Amazon; once again, a personal choice based on your needs. Here are some from Amazon. In addition to these supplies, I use a couple of decorative, yet functional file clips in my journal to keep the pages open when I’m working in it, and a ready-to-use Sharpie pen slid into a pen holder on the side of my notebook.
In my supply bag I carry the following (Supply sources are at the end of my post):
- Winsor & Newton Cotman Watercolor Palette with Mini Brush — a nice little set & adorable!
- 2 Pentel Water Brushes in different sizes
- BIC Intensity Pen Set – 10 Colors
- Tombow Mono Drawing Pencil – Sketching
- Mini Pencil Sharpener — Found mine in an old art kit
- Sticky Thumb Glue Stick — Since my art journal is also a form of a scrapbook, I paste my stray sketches, lettering and water-coloring onto the pages
- Sigma Brush Pen for lettering
- Sigma Micron Pigment Pen for detailing and drawing — Works well with detailing watercolors
- Tombow Mono Sand Eraser — My favorite eraser EVER
- Signo Uniball White Pen for highlighting
- Posca White Paint Pen for highlighting
- Disposable Shop Towel –Folds up easy and small to fit into my bag
- Tombow Mono Zero Eraser — A nice, refillable fine-point eraser
And there you go 🙂 Just like a purse, I know everyone’s journal and bag will be different. Show me yours! Tag me on Instagram with your set up. I’d love to see it!
Have a great day!
(All items were personally purchased. Where available, I use compensated affiliate links which means if you make a purchase I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you so much for your support!) You may need to scroll….